Tragedy Strikes, I React. Wednesday, April 18, 2007
While most Filipinos rejoice and celebrate the most recent victory of congressional candidate and national fist in the boxing ring, I am deeply saddened by yet another incidence of campus carnage.
I still remember the Columbine tragedy. I was where I could always be found, in front of the TV. It was my first time in the states since I was a preschooler, and I was still mesmerized by the picture quality of American television when news of murder in a high school practically jumped out on me. Terror and hysteria were instantly transmitted to almost every American household. Being from the Philippines, violence on the news was not unusual for me to see; but how high school students could go to class and start shooting their schoolmates and teachers was beyond me. The next day, in California, my cousins went to school with their stuff in transparent plastic bags and had to be frisked before entering the premises. Although I may have shed a tear or two, I thought it was a bit OA; but now I take it back.
Yesterday, there was the Virginia Tech massacre. A Korean English major open-fired in the hallway, killing 32 students and professors before shooting himself in the head. He ended not only their lives, but also the hopes and dreams their loved ones had for them. I especially feel for the mothers of the victims. It’s not natural for a son or daughter to go ahead of his or her mother. Putting myself in those parents’ shoes, trading in backpacks for plastic bags may not be such a bad idea after all.
Everyone with feelings invested in the event is trying to make sense of the latest of campus shooting sprees. The news channel I usually watch is interviewing random of Virginia Tech students, asking them what they know of the incident and how the feel about it, squeezing them for all the juice they’re worth. Everyone seems to be angry: angry at the university for the delay in execution of security measures, and angry for the loss of so many lives. I’m angry, too: angry at what may have pushed the killer to commit such an act; angry at the lack of social support that may have prevented such an act; angry because it takes such an act to open people’s eyes to see all the hate that goes around; and angry because these eyes have been repeatedly opened and closed, and yet nothing much has been done about it.
I must be a magnet for major breaking news. I remember being glued to the tube as a senator lost it and started pointing her finger at two ladies at Batasan, as the guy tried for a local actress’ murder went berserk and passed out while crying out he was tortured into pleading guilty, as the decision not to open the envelope was made known, as the kids held hostage in a bus stepped out after affectionately kissing the hostage-taker on the cheeks, as the first plane hit the World Trade Center. In all of these, I’ve seen much anger.
People react to anger. Maybe that is why even with the campaign for tolerance gaining popularity, we are still in the midst of war. I’ve been told that, at the right times, war is necessary in order to bring peace. I personally don’t believe in violence, almost as firmly as I believe spanking is not an appropriate way to discipline a child. Parents should really be careful about how they raise their kids. All too often, it is an authority figure that instills violent behavior in a child, just as citizens of a country are forced to go out to war by their leader. Prejudices are taught and subsequently adapted. There is no such thing as a child born a racist, or a bigot, or a sexist, or a size-ist, or a whatever-ist.
George Lucas may very well have the solution to end all this. Master Yoda has often been quoted, “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Much wisdom in his words, there is. We’d all probably be better off taking Yoda seriously. If we’d grown up without being afraid of our differences, we’d all probably be living like children and be more forgiving of each others faults.
I believe there is hope for the future generations; but, as long as there is destruction for all to see, the future is bleak.
Ana played hooky at 12:58 AM
|
neurotic psychotic obsessive compulsive manic depressive mediocre medical student clerk intern USMLE reviewee intern again
straight, single and searching
aspiring pediatric endocrinologist medical doctor whose specialty has yet to be decided on
digital photography enthusiast
fighting wanderlust (and getting beat up)
dog-lover
My Online Album
Find me on MySpace and be my friend!


Wish List:
Life List:
-
be as carbon-neutral as possible
-
learn conversational Spanish or any
other foreign language
-
own land and live in a trailer
-
practice medicine in the states
-
be a doctor to Filipinos and not charge
for my services
-
retire before becoming too old to krump
-
visit Greece or any other European
country
-
get at least 5 scholars through college
-
fool a picky eater into thinking i'm a
gourmet chef
Ana and Mia
Pauline
Chinky
Gloria
Aiee's Livejournal
Aiee's Blogspot
Andy
Saki
Earl
Jan
Nini's Clerkship Photolog
Nini's Travel Photolog

Blogger for engine.
Disclaimer
© mine and mine alone. if it's crap, it's my crap and my crap alone.
|
1 Comments:
the virginia tech massacre was so sad...
Post a Comment
<< Home